Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Making my Father Proud

My Dad is determined, opinionated, hardworking, loyal, articulate, loving, and .......Passionate about Politics. Growing up I hated it when the discussion would turn to politics, and I still tend to shy away from the contention and controversy these conversations can cause. But even I have been drawn to all the excitement and drama of this historical election year. I took part in the first in Iowa Caucases, and since then I have spent time researching and watching the political process in action. I feel so blessed to live in the land of the free. I am grateful for the inspired men that had the courage to form our great country, and for my grandfathers and so many others who risked their lives to defend it.


I am so proud to be an American, and I am proud to say that I made my voice heard. I cast my vote.

I think my dad will be proud too. I may flee the room when he brings up politics, but I have gained a greater respect and admiration for his passion. I may even share a little of it.


"I think that anything less than a 100 percent turnout by the more than 80 million moms in the United States could rightly be called too few. The problem is not just our failure to vote. It's also our hesitation (frequently inspired -- it's true -- by exhaustion) to stand up, speak out, and rock the boat even as we're rocking the cradle.

"We all have dreams, and here is mine: that one day, all mothers will use their political power and voice not in the way that the media and our husbands, pastors, father, and political leaders direct us to, but rather as we're led by our personal wisdom, our deepest intuition, our maternal instinct.

"If my experience raising three children has taught me one thing, it's this: There is no more powerful political act than mothering. There is no greater reason than my children for me to become politically involved, and there is no more important work to put my efforts to than those things that will make this world a better, safer place for my kids. And your kids, too."
-Shari MacDonald Strong

1 comment:

Jordan & Rebecca said...

So jealous you are at disneyland with my man right now :) our new blog website is http://jordanandrebecca.blogspot.com/